- Meet philosophy faculty and students live at a webinar on 18th November 2022 at 14:30
- Start your application for the 2023/24 AY
- Application Deadlines
- Visit the Prospective Student Page
For Program Structure, please visit the PhD Program page.
- Candidates must have a Master's degree or equivalent in philosophy or a related field, and a background in the history of philosophy and in logic. Applicants who haven't earned an MA degree yet should submit documentation indicating that they will earn their degree by the time of enrolling in the program
- Proficiency in English. Applicants whose first language is not English normally submit standardized English language test scores, e.g., the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), but applicants with a degree from a program taught in English may request exemption.
- Submission of the general CEU application form with its appendices, including the specific departmental requirements
Documents to be submitted with the application
General CEU requirements:
- Completed online CEU Application Form
- Two letters of recommendation
- Academic records
- A curriculum vitae or resume
- Proof of English proficiency
- A short statement of purpose (1–2 pages single spaced), indicating the applicant's proposed research
- An essay of 2000–4000 words on an appropriate philosophical topic. The admission committee does not normally have time to read longer essays. Applicants who wish to submit a longer piece are asked to mark the sections they would not wish the committee to skip. The essay should demonstrate the applicant’s ability to think and write clearly and philosophically, for example by giving an original argument or evaluation of an argument about a philosophical problem, or an interpretation of a difficult philosophical text. It can, but need not, be related to the applicant’s past studies or proposed research topic.
Admission process and evaluation of applications
- After the admission deadline (1 February 2023), the departmental PhD admission committee evaluates all applications
- The committee establishes a merit list, based on the
- evaluation of previous academic record
- evaluation of the writing sample
- match between the applicant's interests (as explained in the statement of purpose) and CEU's supervision capacity
- performance at the interview (we interview every student considered for the PhD program)
- any other relevant info contained in the application
- Offers are normally sent out from 3 April onwards. All offers for the PhD program include the CEU Doctoral Scholarship (full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend of 1680 eur/month, for 48 months total).
CEU offers a financial aid package to students in doctoral programs.
All students accepted to the Philosophy PhD program so far have received the full CEU Doctoral Scholarship.
For additional information, please check Funding and Fees.