1st CEU Philosophy Undergraduate Essay Competition
December 11, 2020
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
About the competition
The Philosophy Department at Central European University invites students to its first Undergraduate Essay Competition, a timed essay-writing event, on the 11 December 2020 from 3pm-5:30pm CET.
- Participants must be in their second year of their BA studies or eligible for applying to an MA program in Philosophy at CEU. (See the entry requirements HERE.)
- The essay event will be held in a form of a 90-minute-long invigilated online writing session.
- At the beginning of the essay event, participants will be given four prompts, i.e., short quotations from philosophical works. The topics will reflect some of the main areas of philosophy that our faculty specializes in.
- Students must choose one topic, identify a philosophical problem implicit in it, and write an essay explaining their coherent and well-argued position on the issue (ca. 1000 words). Familiarity with the context of the quotation is not a requirement, instead, emphasis will be put on how well the student understood the problem at hand, as well as the clarity of thought and persuasiveness of the argument manifested by the essay.
- Submissions will be reviewed and judged anonymously by members of our department.
Gold, Silver and Bronze medals will be awarded for the most successful essays which will also be published on the Department's website. In case the recipients then successfully apply to CEU Philosophy Department's MA programs, the medals are accompanied by fee waivers in the first year of studying at CEU in the following way:
- Gold medal: full waiver on student enrollment fee in the first year and on the registration fee (300 EUR).
- Silver medal: full waiver on student enrollment in the first year (200 EUR).
- Bronze medal: full waiver on registration fee (100 EUR).
Registering is necessary but free of charge, latest by 48 hours before the event. Call will be closed once the threshold of 100 participants has been reached.
Technical and data provision requirements: As the event is organized online, participants must have stable internet connection during the whole time of the competition and using a device with full audio and video connecting possibilities. If you participate, we will have to ask you to record your screen during the 90 min of writing, to secure fairness of competition. All personal data from non-recipients as well as all recordings will be deleted after we assessed the submissions.