Why Philosophy at CEU?
About the Department
CEU’s Philosophy Department is internationally recognized as one of the top analytic philosophy programs in continental Europe. Its faculty has published in the best journals and presses in the world.
- The Department uniquely combines analytic and historical approaches to philosophy. This feature of our program allows for a fruitful dialogue between contemporary philosophy and its history.
- The Department closely cooperates with CEU’s Departments of Cognitive Science, Political Science and Medieval Studies, offering joint courses and cross-listed courses with these departments.
- The Department has colloquia almost every week with guest lecturers of international stature and a chance for students to meet with them in an informal setting. See here the list of past events and upcoming events
- The Department hosts, or is a member of, a number of international research projects and networks, which bring intellectually exciting events to the department and provide opportunities for our students to establish further connections. For a brief description of the projects below, click here.
- The Philosophy of Language and Mind Network
- Topics in the Philosophy of the Humanities and Social Sciences (ToPHSS)
- The PETAF Marie Curie Initial Training Network
- The Department has a number of Erasmus agreements with universities in Europe
About the Programs
- Apart from conferences and workshops, the Department regularly hosts academic events for graduate students such as our annual in-house graduate conference which gives our own students the chance to present their work, and a biennial international graduate conference open to students from other universities
- Financial packages and tuition waivers are available to both MA and PhD students. The overwhelming majority of students in the Department of Philosophy receive financial packages.
- The Department has placed its PhD alumni with permanent or tenure track full-time positions at leading universities in Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Romania, Spain, Sweden and Turkey. Others currently have researcher or postdoc positions in US, UK, German and other universities. Its MA program prepares students to continue their studies at leading PhD programs, and many of its alumni have continued their studies at top universities, especially in the US, UK and other English-speaking countries. Meet some of our alumni here.
- The Department’s strong focus on the philosophy of mind and its joint and cross-listed courses with Cognitive Science afford an excellent opportunity for the interdisciplinary study of the mind. Some recent courses in the field:
- Perception, Thought and Consciousness
- Action and Agency: Causal and Teleological Interpretations
- Consciousness and the Physical World
- The Origin of Concepts
- Wittgenstein on Thought and Imagination
- The Department has strong presence in the history of philosophy, in ancient and early modern philosophy in particular. We study the history of philosophy in light of contemporary issues, and approach contemporary issues in a historic perspective. Some past courses that combine historical and contemporary approaches:
- Meaning and Truth in Ancient Philosophy
- Descartes' Philosophical Revolution
- Kant's Critique of Pure Reason
- We believe that philosophy is an ideal subject for those who are interested in rigorous thinking and applications to the most fundamental questions in practically all aspects of life and thought.
CEU is an English-language university with an exceptionally diverse international community, with students coming from over 100 countries, and faculty from some 40 countries, which makes for an unusually stimulating environment, both intellectually and socially.
- CEU is a post-graduate institution without an undergraduate student body. Students receive a great deal of personal attention, and classes have a low student/professor ratio.
- CEU has a student services division providing for various practical, personal and social needs of its students. Cultural events from music and dance to art and regional based programs are offered regularly as are language courses including courses in Hungarian.
- CEU’s environment is friendly, informal and supportive.
- CEU is located in the heart of Budapest, a beautiful, exciting, culturally vibrant, and affordable European capital city.
Applying to CEU